We are a first-class teacher training and research facility
As a laboratory school, enrolled children at the CLRC may participate in training activities for undergraduate and graduate students at Old Dominion University majoring in Early Childhood Education, Special Education, and Communicative Disorders, as well as other disciplines throughout the University. Qualified faculty members approve and supervise any videotaping, filming, testing, case discussion or presentations where there are children involved. Specific parental permission will always be requested for approved research projects or individual projects with children.
Conducting research at the CLRC and Oral Preschool
Specific procedures are in place to assist with the implementation of any research at the Children's Learning and Research Centers and Oral Preschool (i.e., scheduling, coordinating needed space and materials, etc.)
Requests are screened by the CLRC in terms of factors such as:
- IRB Approval
- Feasibility of proposed methods
- Safety/well-being of child participants
- Project timeline
- Level of required family involvement
- Impact of the research on classroom schedules and the Children's Learning and Research Centers/Oral Preschool space
After receiving project approval at the Children's Learning and Research Centers/Oral Preschool, you must:
- Complete a Virginia State Police background check. You will be required to pay for the background investigations. The cost is $20.00.
- Submit evidence of TB testing with negative results
- Schedule classroom time with the classroom teacher
- Be available to respond to questions and concerns raised by parents and teachers
- All students observers must be enrolled in a course or sponsored by a faculty member.
- All student observers must complete a Student Participation Form before observing inside or outside the classroom and give it to the teacher of the classroom that they are observing.
- Respect classroom materials and procedures
- Refrain from eating and drinking in the classrooms and observation booths
- Refrain from bringing cell phones into the classroom
- Personal belongings need to be locked up or left in your car