We are glad that you are interested in on-campus housing at Old Dominion University. This page contains process related information for off-campus students seeking to obtain housing for the 2022-2023 academic year. To ensure you have a successful experience navigating the housing application process, it is extremely important to read all material that is provided to you regarding sign-up.
Old Dominion University guarantees housing for new freshmen and current freshmen transitioning to their second year on campus. Housing & Residence Life staff work to maximize the opportunity to have as many students as possible experience residential living.
Due to the increased demand in on-campus housing, all off-campus students interested in on-campus housing will automatically be waitlisted. If you are interested in applying and adding your name to the housing waitlist, please continue reading the information below.
We look forward to having you join our community and wish you the best of luck here at Old Dominion University!
To apply, you will need:
- An active MIDAS account, MIDAS ID, and password
- A valid credit/debit card for the $250 application fee. Your application is not complete until your application fee is made.
Before you begin
- Review the Terms and Conditions of the Housing & Dining Contract to better understand the commitment you are making to ODU prior to applying for housing
- Explore your options for Residential Communities and/or Living Learning Communities
- Take the opportunity to review meal plan requirements/options for resident students
Fall 2023 Housing Information
Wednesday, March 29, 2023: Noon - Housing Application Opens via ODU Housing Portal
- Off-campus students interested in on-campus housing may complete the housing application on or after March 30. Completed applications will be waitlisted and students assigned on a space available basis.
May 15, 2023: Cancellation deadline for $200 partial application fee refund
- Note: After May 15, the $250 application fee is not refundable.
July 13, 2023: If spaces permits, Auto-Allocation of Off-Campus Students will begin.
- As a reminder, off-campus residents seeking to live on campus are not guaranteed housing. Only once all incoming (new) and return housing students are assigned will off campus students be offered an assignment.
Housing & Residence Life may find it necessary to expand our capacity to support the opportunity for as many students as possible to live at ODU. Expanded housing accommodations for students may include the temporary expansion of on-campus spaces or securing off-site housing accommodations.
Residential amenities offered for traditional assignments are available to students living in expanded housing. These include room furnishings, desk coverage, secure access, staffing, laundry, meals, and shuttle service. Residents can and should utilize all campus resources available to any student living on-campus housing. Our staff are committed to ensuring your academic success wherever you reside.
Any student who completes an application for on-campus housing can be assigned to temporary accommodations. The length of stay can range from a few days to an entire semester. If a student is assigned to a temporary space, they will be reassigned to a permanent room as space permits. Moving assistance is available as needed. As with on-campus housing, you will be asked to consolidate your room if there is a vacancy. Our goal is to ensure you have a rewarding experience.
As you consider your options for housing, feel free to explore the Off-Campus Student Life website. The Off-Campus Student Life Office was created as an initiative by the Dean of Students to provide a centralized location for off-campus students to receive guidance, support, and resources for their off-campus experience. The website also includes property listings of landlords in the area who would like to rent to ODU students.
Please note that the listing of off-campus residential properties is provided for informational purposes only and does not imply endorsement or recommendation of any off-campus residential property for security, safety, or suitability by the University. It is the responsibility of the prospective tenant to investigate security, safety and suitability of any off-campus residential property. ODU is not affiliated with any landlord that lists available property including ODUrent.