Community Service Projects for 2017-2018
individuals received services
including oral health education, screenings, and clinical services, free of charge from the service-learning community activities the senior dental hygiene students completed for 2017-2018.*
* Numbers are likely to be higher since health fairs are difficult to estimate.
Individuals served include:
- Children/teens: 3065
- Adults: 1228
- Seniors: 138
- Individuals with Disabilities: 97
- Individuals experiencing homelessness: Homeless Connect: 171
- International: Ireland adults/children: 104
- Community Donations: 34 student donations towards 25 various community charities
Total donated professional dental hygiene oral healthcare services
This includes the following activities that the ODU School of Dental Hygiene senior students provided to the community:
- Mission of Mercy ( MOM) Portsmouth = $6,500.00
- Homeless Connect 2017 & 2018 = $12,300.00
- Dental Access Day at Chesapeake Care = 8,000.00
- Fluoride Varnish Donations = 243 applications x 25.00 = $6,075.00
- Donegal, Ireland Seniors = $1,520.00
- Public Health Dental Clinics = $69,961.00
awards & recognitions
Our students, faculty and alumni have been recognized for numerous achievements by the ODU community and beyond.
With more than $500,000 in funded grants, and numerous publications, our faculty are leaders in the field.