Owens House pays homage to the legacy of local civil rights icon and long-time supporter of Old Dominion University, Dr. Hugo A. Owens Sr. Located on 49th street near Powhatan Avenue, Owens House is the newest residence hall in the Runte Quad neighborhood, near the Webb Center, the P.O.D. market in Dominion House, and the Student Recreation Center.
At five stories and housing 470 students, it is ODU's second largest residential facility intentionally designed to foster partnership between residential living and academic success. Students living in Owens House are encouraged to engage, study, create, and grow into citizens that benefit the fabric of the Monarch Community.
Owens House Features:
- Both single and double style rooms
- Customizable furniture which allows students to adjust their space into multiple configurations
- Two large classrooms, project rooms, and ample study spaces that support academic initiatives and student engagement in course-specific studies
Take a Virtual Tour
|Building Size||Large (470)|
|Hall||Single gender within room|
|Room Style||Single or Double occupancy|
|Bathrooms||1 per 2-3 students|
|Break Housing||Not open over break (Thanksgiving, Winter & Spring)|
On Campus Address:
1501 W. 49th Street
Norfolk, VA 23508
Hall Phone Numbers:
757-683-5208 (Neighborhood Desk)
757-683-4256 (Residence Hall Director)
757-683-5181 (Assistant Hall Director)
Neighborhood Desk Hours:
Residence Hall communities offer 24-hour desk services.
For additional assistance outside the above hours, students should seek assistance at the neighborhood desk located in this Residence Hall.
Each bathroom is furnished with one toilet and one shower with a shower curtain/rod. A sink with mirror is provided in each bedroom. One bathroom per 2-3 students.
Owens House is the home of four Living-Learning Communities:
- Cybersecurity LLC
- Engineering LLC
- Entrepreneurship & Gaming LLC
- Health Professions LLC
To learn more about these communities, visit the Living-Learning Communities page.
- 24-hour information desk
- Secured with ODU ID card access
- Package Concierge (automated locker system to safely & securely access your packages 24/7)
- Housekeeping for community areas
- Laundry & Kitchenettes on each floor
- Study spaces & shared lounges on each floor
- Wireless residential community. In lieu of hardwired coaxial cables and ethernet ports, streaming TV service and wireless Internet are available. To use these services, students should verify that their computer is able to connect to WiFi, and that their TV has an HDMI port (a SmartTV is not required).
- Wireless printing
- Movie Streaming
- Two academic classrooms
- One computer lab
- Innovation Lab
Owens House has a 9-month contract commitment which covers the fall and spring semesters. Each semester is billed separately, due dates are established by the Office of Finance.
- 2022-2023 Room Rates
- Double $3,999 per semester
- Single $4,560 per semester