Old Dominion University Housing & Residence Life acknowledges and respects the diversity of our student population. In doing so, we offer living options to encompass all individuals.
Gender Inclusive Housing is an option in which upper-class students may elect to share an apartment/suite regardless of sex, gender or gender expression. Gender Inclusive Housing is voluntary; no student will be assigned to a Gender Inclusive unit unless they have opted to be a part of a Gender Inclusive living space.
All students entering into a Gender Inclusive Housing option must carefully read and understand the expectations listed below. Gender Inclusive Housing is not intended for and is highly discouraged for romantic couples.
- Individuals must be willing to be placed with others regardless of gender.
- All apartment/suite-mates must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- All apartment/suite-mates must be upper-class students and be eligible for on-campus housing.
- All students must have a completed Housing Application.
- All apartment/suite-mates must sign the Gender Inclusive Housing Terms & Conditions Addendum.
Terms and Conditions
- Gender Inclusive Housing is an option in which upper-class students agree to share an apartment/suite regardless of sex, gender or gender expression.
- Spaces will be selected on a first-come, first-served basis based on apartment/suite availability. A complete group shall consist of 4 students. Complete groups will have priority over individual applicants.
- Groups must have the correct number of eligible students for the apartment they are requesting.
- Housing & Residence Life will select a space based on the size of the group, and priority will be based on ability to fill a space and indicated building preference.
- Each student in the group will be required to complete the Gender Inclusive Housing Agreement/Application and sign an addendum for the entire group to be eligible. The group's application will not be complete until all group participants have completed their application.
- Individuals must be willing to be housed with others regardless of gender.
- Housing & Residence Life will make an assignment based on the indicated building preference. Complete groups shall have priority over individual applicants.
- If an apartment/suite-mate cancels their housing agreement or moves out of the apartment/suite for any reason, the remaining apartment/suite-mates will have one week to identify a new apartment/suite-mate. Residents must e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 757-683-4283 to request a replacement apartment/suite-mate by the week deadline. If the space is not filled by the designated date, Housing & Residence Life may fill the space with a student of the same sex or another student who has requested Gender Inclusive Housing as an option.
- Please note that Gender Inclusive Housing spaces are located in the University Village (4-person apartments) and Dominion House (4-person suites), and you must be willing and able to accept the terms of those assigned spaces (University Village has a fall, spring, and summer term making an 11+ month agreement; Dominion House requires the selection of a minimum Block 160 meal plan)
If you are interested in Gender Inclusive Housing, please complete the opt-in Gender Inclusive page with the Housing Application.
Please Note: Space is limited. Assignments will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis. All indicated group members must submit the application to be considered a complete group.