[ skip to content ]

More Information about this image

Dragas Hall with students going to class

Office of Visa & Immigration Service AdvisingF-1 Student Visa

It is a student's responsibility to maintain her/his visa status and her/his good standing at the University by following the following and any subsequent updates in Immigration regulations, VISA processes and/or ODU policies that are announced on the web site and/or the ISSlist

Health Insurance Requirement

All F-1 visa holders with documents issued from Old Dominion Unviersity must have health insurance provided by ODU or an approved waiver for each enrolled semester.

Learn more about Health Insurance

On-Campus Employment

For F-1 visa holders, up to 20 hours per week of on-campus employment is allowed. No off-campus work is allowed without prior, written approval from VISA and/or USCIS.

All nonimmigrant visa holders (i.e. not in possession of a green card or a U.S. passport) must fill out their tax (I-9) paperwork in the VISA office.

Learn more about Employment

Transferring To Another School

To transfer from Old Dominion to another school, you must complete a Transfer Out Form and follow the procedures detailed on the form.

Transfer Out Form

Keep I-20 Updated

Request a new I-20 form if ANY change occurs to the information on the form, including the amount of your graduate assistantship. If you need to extend, all documentation requirements are listed on the link above. Do not let your form expire to avoid significant immigration problems.

I-20 Form

Maintain the Required Addresses

The following addresses must be updated within 5 days of any move to ensure that your visa status is kept current.

  • SEVIS U.S. Address: click on the link to submit the change to VISA so your address can be made current in SEVIS and on LeoOnline.
  • SEVIS Home Country Address: click on the link to submit the change to VISA so your address can be made current in SEVIS and on LeoOnline.

Maintain a Valid Passport

Your passport should be valid for at least six months into the future. Contact your embassy at least nine months before your passport expires to ask about renewal procedures.

Find your embassy


F-1 student visa holders will need to submit tax documentation in order to maintain their status--even if they do not work. Be sure to watch for emails from our office in regards to taxes.

Stay Informed

Read e-mails and updates sent to the ISSlist. Always feel free to contact VISA if you have questions or need clarification.

Learn more about staying connected

Full-time status for students on F-1 visas is defined as completion of a certain number of credits: 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester for undergraduate students, 9 credit hours each fall and spring for graduate students.

Please see the Reduced Course Load Request (RCL) to see in which instances VISA may grant approval for few credits.


Site Navigation

Presidential Inauguration

ODU commemorated the inauguration of President Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D., during Homecoming Weekend 2022. Relive the historic weekend.

Fall Open House

It's time to fall in love with ODU! Join us for our last Open House event of the semester on Saturday, November 19.

Commencement 2022

Visit the Commencement Office for information on event times, caps & gowns, tickets and more!