ISAB Scholarship Award
Awarded by Center for Global Engagement - VISA
Are you going to present at a conference? Do you want to participate in an unpaid internship? We can provide up to $1,000 to help you pay for an activity related to your academic program at ODU!
We have exhausted all funds for the 22/23 academic year. We will begin accepting applications for the 23/24 academic year on July 1, 2023.
Academic or Leadership Conference Fees for Virtual or In-Person Conference
Study Abroad Course
Unpaid Internships /Service Learning in the US or Abroad
Non-degree Non-credit Course Offered Outside ODU (i.e. Research Methods Seminar, Leadership Training, etc.)
Research Expenses (i.e. Travel to a Research Site, Transcription Services, etc.)
Artistic Performance or Exhibition
If your planned activity does not fit into one of the above categories, please contact the VISA office for assistance.
The purpose of the International Student Advisor Board (ISAB) Scholarship is to assist non-immigrant students at ODU with expenses for educational and development opportunities outside regular coursework.
In partnership with the ISAB, the VISA office will give 25 students per academic year grants of up to $1000. Grants are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis until the funds are depleted.
Scholarships are available for any activities that begin after July 1, 2022.
Completed applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the start of the activity. Late applications and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- Currently enrolled as a degree seeking student at ODU
- Valid non-immigrant visa status (ex. F-1, J-1, H-4, NATO)
- Completed at least 1 semester at ODU
- Completed all ESL coursework
- Good academic standing (GPA of 3.0 for Graduate Students, 2.0 for Undergraduate Students)
- Good disciplinary standing
If requesting travel expenses, please view the per diem rates HERE
Application for 2022-2023 Academic Year
Required supplementary documentation for your application:
Note: Please upload documentation in Word, Excel, or PDF format with your online application.
- Link to Conference Registration Costs
- If travelling, Travel Expense Spreadsheet
Study Abroad Course:
- Copy of Registration that includes the cost
Unpaid Internship/Service Learning in US or Abroad:
- Offer letter with dates, explanation of the purpose of the internship, and confirmation it is unpaid
- If the internship is outside Hampton Roads, submit a Travel Expense Worksheet
- Please note: We cannot pay apartment rental or other housing costs for an unpaid internship
Non-Degree course offered outside ODU:
- Link to the course registration page for name of course and cost
- If traveling, submit a Travel Expense Worksheet
- Copy of IRB Approval
- Documentation of the estimated cost (ex. Receipt, detailed cost worksheet, or links to specific items you will purchase)
- Explanation of the purpose of the research and why the student is required to pay the expenses
- Acknowledgement that the research is not part of a paid research assistantship
Please note: We cannot pay apartment rental or other housing costs for researchers. We cannot pay for monetary incentives for research participants.Sample Expense Worksheet
More Scholarship Resources
Institute of International Education (IIE)
The IIE is a great resource for scholarship opportunities.
International Student Organization (ISO)
The ISO provides a list of scholarships available to international students.
ODU Office of Finance
The Office of Finance has compiled a page with free scholarship search sites.