[ skip to content ]

More Information about this image

Students at Off-Campus Location

Undergraduate Advising

Students new to ODU are often advised by college advisors or by Advising Services in Webb Center however, once students have earned 26 or more credit hours and a grade of C or above in English 110, they are ready to seek advising from their major/minor department.

Step One: Declare your major|minor.

  • Download, print, and complete the Program Declaration Form or take one from the bulletin board outside BAL 6000.
  • Turn the form in at BAL 6000.

Step Two: Find out who has been assigned to be your advisor in one of three ways.

  1. Checking the name of your primary advisor on DegreeWorks.

  2. Calling 683-3791 and speaking with Mrs. Stewart.

  3. Checking on the list of students and advisors posted outside BAL 6000.

Find your Advisor

Degree Requirement Checklists

Criminal Justice Curriculum
Sociology Curriculum

Advising FAQ's

Why is it important to declare your major/minor?

Declaring your major/minor is how students get a departmental advisor. This is important because in order to ensure that students move smoothly toward the completion of their degrees, all degree-seeking students have advising blocks on their ability to register. The block is removed once students have met with their advisor.

Who needs advising?

Everyone could benefit from advising. Once you have declared your major, your department will assign you a faculty advisor. To find out who that is, contact the appropriate department. If you are majoring in Sociology or Criminal Justice, you can find out who has been assigned to be your advisor by checking the name of your primary advisor on DegreeWorks, calling 683-3794 and speaking with Mrs. Stewart, or checking on the list of students and advisors posted outside BAL 6000.

When should I see my advisor to get my blocked removed for registration?

About two weeks before registration. At that time, your advisor will have a sign up sheet posted on his/her door so you can sign up for appointments. We suggest bringing a list of questions, list of classes you intend to sign up for and a transcript of copy of your DegreeWorks to the meeting. For more information about what your advisor wants you to bring to the meeting please contact your advisor.

When can I declare my major?

Students who have completed 26 credit hours and have earned a "C" or better in English 110 and English 111 are eligible to declare sociology or criminal justice as their major.

If someone tells me one thing and the catalogue tells me another, which should I believe?

Your catalogue tells you your degree requirements. It is the source of information you should depend on.

I have completed all my general ed., major & minor requirements but I still only have 112 credit hours. Can I graduate?

No. You cannot graduate with fewer than 120 credit hours. If you complete all your general education requirements, all your major requirements and all your minor/cluster requirements, and still do not have 120 credit hours you must take additional classes. What you take is up to you. Some students get another minor. Some decide to turn their minor into another major. Many just take classes than they enjoy.

Am I required to have an internship?

No. You can do one if you want and get up to 6 credit hours of upper level criminal justice or sociology elective hours.

Do you have to have a writing enhanced class in the Sociology or Criminal Justice major?

Yes. Every major now must include as part of its requirements one writing enhanced class.

Am I required to make a "C" or better in each of my Sociology or Criminal Justice major classes?

No. You do however need a 2.0 GPA overall, and in your Sociology and Criminal Justice major. Remember also that you do need a "C" or better in English 110 to be able to declare Sociology or Criminal Justice as your major.

What happens to my incomplete if I never finish it?

It changes to an "f" after one semester.

Can I change my major/minor?

Of course. You can change majors as well as minors.

How do I go about getting "grade forgiveness"?

All you do is take the class over. It must be taken over at ODU, must be the same course, and can only be done for courses where you earned a "C-" or less. Be careful though, whatever you earn in the repeated class will be used - even if its lower than what you got in the first class.

Do I have to have a minor?

No. You can choose form the following options, with Option D being the default.

  1. Approved Minor, 12-24 hours; also second degree or second major.

  2. Interdisciplinary Minor, 12 hours specified by the department, 3 of which may be in the major area of study.

  3. International business and regional courses or an approved certification program, such as teaching licensure.

  4. Two Upper-Division Courses from outside the College of Arts and Letters or from the Arts and Humanities Component within the College of Arts and Letters that are not required by the major (6 hours).

Why do I have a hold on my account if I am graduating? What is a Degree Completion Planning Hold?

This hold reflects that you have applied for graduation. There is nothing you need to do as you will no longer be registering for classes. Students who determine they will not graduate as planned will need to email graduate@odu.edu to update the expected graduation date and have the hold removed. You may also need to contact your advisor to remove a Degree Plan (AD) hold.

Are Your Ready To Apply?

Click on the apply now button.

Site Navigation

Experience Guaranteed

Enhance your college career by gaining relevant experience with the skills and knowledge needed for your future career. Discover our experiential learning opportunities.

First Fridays

Get an inside look into your major of interest when you speak to professors and current students at our monthly First Friday events.

Freshman Orientation

Welcome to the Monarch Nation! Orientation will be hosted on-campus. Events include course selection and registration, an overview of resources and a preview of campus life.