Monarch Orientation Leaders
The orientation student staff are currently enrolled undergraduate students at ODU who play key roles in helping new students and families in their transition to becoming a part of the Monarch Nation. The student staff represent ODU to new students and families, work closely with University staff and administration, and perform various tasks and responsibilities during orientation and other transition programs hosted by Student Transition and Family Programs.
Students who are most successful in this role exemplify and embody the following characteristics:
- Interpersonal Communication
- Team Oriented
Monarch Orientation Leaders are responsible for the following at orientation:
- Assist with the preparation and transport of materials distributed during orientation.
- Welcome incoming students, both freshman and transfer students, and their families.
- Knowledgeable of ODU facilities, services, and programs, and be able to successfully communicate this information to new students and families.
- Facilitate group activities like introductions, icebreakers, and general discussions.
- Teach students to navigate the registration process.
- Assist Academic Advisors with course scheduling and registration procedures during orientation.
- Assist in directing students and families throughout the program.
- Visible and available to all orientation participants to answer general questions.
- Serve as a positive peer mentor and ODU representative.
- Work with Student Transition and Family Programs staff.
- Fulfill other tasks and duties as needed.
Orientation Leaders must be available for all required dates. Required dates will be shared at the information sessions.
- 2.5 GPA
- Must be in good standing with Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity
- Students must be returning, full-time students for the Fall 2022 semester
Room: A furnished room will be provided in a residence hall for the summer only. Parking decal costs are not covered by our office.
Convenience: While serving as a Monarch Orientation Leader, you may take courses that do not conflict with the orientation work schedule.
Skills: You'll gain experience with public speaking, teamwork, leadership, small group facilitation, and problem-solving.
Networking: You'll meet academic advisors, faculty and staff members from across the university. The position often leads to other leadership opportunities on campus.
Orientation Leaders work May-August hosting various orientation sessions. Dates and times vary. Additionally, there are midyear Monarch Orientation days in December and January. Orientation dates are not published, however we will provide them to applicants as needed. Selected students will receive all required dates upon offer of employment.
Applicants must attend one information session in order to be considered. If you have a scheduling conflict and cannot attend any information sessions, please contact email@example.com. Click the button below to access the application.
Applications will open January 3, 2022 and close February 4, 2022.
|Thursday, January 20, 2022||12:30PM-1:30PM||SGA Senate Chambers|
|Tuesday, January 25, 2022||12:30PM-1:30PM||SGA Senate Chambers|
|Friday, January 28, 2022||10:30AM-11:30AM||SGA Senate Chambers|
|Wednesday, February 2, 2022||3:30PM-4:30PM||SGA Senate Chambers|