Welcome to the Monarch Nation!
This page will be updated soon for Spring 2023 admits.
Requirements and Expectations
Your admissions deposit must be paid and processed before you will be able to log in to the Monarch Orientation reservation system. Processing typically takes 3 business days for online payments and longer for checks mailed to the University.
If you have questions about your deposit, please contact Admissions at 757-683-3685.
All incoming freshmen and transfers with 23 or fewer credits are required to register for and participate in virtual Monarch Orientation. While sessions are virtual, the program requires live student participation so students are required to register for an available date through the reservation system.
During Monarch Orientation, students will connect with current students and other incoming Monarchs and meet with an academic advisor to register for courses. *Links required for participation will be emailed to your ODU student email the day prior to your scheduled session.
All new students have an AD hold placed on their account. The purpose of this hold is to require all students to meet with an academic advisor to ensure they are enrolling in courses they need and are on track to graduate in a timely manner.The hold is removed during Monarch Orientation, so please do not contact an academic advisor prior to attending orientation.
For students, the cost of orientation programming is included in the $75 New Student Transition Fee, which the University assesses to all new, degree-seeking, non-distance undergraduates. This fee is included on the tuition bill and not assessed at the time of reservation.
Registering for Monarch Orientation
- Access the Orientation Reservation system through your email.
- Complete steps 1-5 of the Orientation Reservation.
- Step 1 - Student Information: name, preferred name, phone number, email
- Step 2 - Major: This will display the major indicated by the student on the application. Students can change their major in this step.
- Step 3 - Select Your Orientation Date: All available session dates will be displayed. When a session reaches capacity, it will no longer be displayed.
- Step 4 - Add a Family Member/Guest: Students can add up to 6 family members/guests.
- Step 5 - Submit: Students will be redirected to review and submit their reservation.
- On the review page, students will review the information that they have entered for steps 1-4 and then be asked to submit their reservation.
- Upon submission, students will see a confirmation page and receive a confirmation email to their ODU email.
Students wishing to change their date may access the Orientation Reservation system through the MyODU portal, click the "Edit Reservation" button, and select an available date. Orientation sessions have capacity limits - students will only be able to add themselves into dates with open seats. Students wishing to cancel their reservation should email email@example.com.
Students wishing to change their major may access the Orientation Reservation system through the Orientation Blackboard course, click the "Edit Reservation" button, and make adjustments as needed. All changes must be submitted through the system. Students will be advised at orientation based on the major listed on their reservation.
Access the Orientation Reservation system through the Orientation Blackboard course, click the "Edit Reservation" button, and make adjustments as needed. Students may register up to eight family members/guests.
After Registering for Monarch Orientation
The Big Blue Book
The aim of the Big Blue Book is to provide you with knowledge, confidence and understanding about ODU. In the Big Blue Book, you will find information about academic colleges and majors, paying for college, student support services and more. This is a great resource that students can refer back to when needing assistance.