[ skip to content ]

More Information about this image

The lion fountain glowing on ODU campus.

Risk ManagementFrequently Asked Questions

What is Risk Management?

The practice of Risk Management is identifying and analyzing loss exposures other than business risks and taking steps to minimize the financial impact of those risks.

Old Dominion University incorporates Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) methodology and practices into its overall strategic planning.

What kind of insurance does the University have?

The Commonwealth of Virginia provides worldwide insurance protection for all State agencies and their personnel through the Commonwealth of Virginia's Risk Management Plan (the PLAN). In general, this coverage includes liability (general, professional, and automobile), property, medical malpractice, automobile physical damage (Car Care), fidelity bond (faithful performance and crime), and watercraft.

Who is covered under the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Risk Management Plan?

Faculty, staff, and other agents who are acting within the course and scope of their employment are covered under the PLAN.

Are students covered?

Students are covered only while participating in an authorized scope of a clinical, internship, externship, or other educational program in order to meet pedagogical requirements.

What do I do if I have a vehicle accident in a State owned or rented vehicle while on University business?

  1. Call the Virginia State Police (800-582-8350) for off-campus accidents and the University Police for on-campus accidents (757-683-4000).
  2. Fill out the paperwork located in the Accident Packet located in the glove compartment of all state-owned vehicles.
  3. Contact your Supervisor.
  4. Contact the Office of Risk Management (757-683-4009) and complete an Automobile Loss Incident Form within 24 hours of the accident.
  5. If you're an employee injured while on official business, also submit a Workers Compensation Accident Report form to Human Resources.

Will I be covered if I have a vehicle accident in my own personal vehicle while on University business?

No. The owner of a vehicle is financially responsible for losses due to the operation of that vehicle. The Commonwealth of Virginia's Risk Management Plan may provide defense and payment in excess of your policy. The PLAN would still only pay up to $2,000,000 excess of your personal policy limits.

May a non-state employee drive a state vehicle? Are they protected against liability claims if they do?

A non-state employee may drive a state owned vehicle if authorized by the appropriate person in the State agency. Anyone driving a State owned vehicle with authorization on state business is considered an agent and is covered through the Commonwealth of Virginia's Risk Management Plan.

Can I file a claim for damages to a personal vehicle while legally parked in an assigned ODU parking lot?

A claim can only be considered if there is clear evidence that the damage occurred as a result of negligence on the part of the University or if a state owned vehicle can be identified as having caused the damage.

Can I get reimbursed for personal property that is lost/stolen/damaged while being used for University business?

The personal property of faculty, staff, students, contractors, and visitors is ordinarily excluded from coverage. The exception to this policy is when the property is a written condition of employment that you provide your own tools, equipment, camera, computer, etc. and that has been agreed to before a loss, then the items are covered. A copy of this agreement must be on file with the Office of Risk Management (ORM) and Human Resources along with an itemized list of the items and their values. This requirement must be documented in the position description (PD) or in a memorandum from the department head to the ORM and Human Resources prior to the loss/damage. Upon the loss or damage contact the University Police (757-683-4000) and the ORM (757-683-4009). Otherwise coverage can usually be found under a homeowner's policy.

What is my department’s financial responsibility in the event of loss or damage to state property or vehicles?

The department that owns or operates the property or vehicle is responsible for the damage and comprehensive deductible of $1,000 per occurrence.

Is it necessary to purchase the exact same item (model) as was damaged/stolen?

If it is at all possible to replace the stolen/damaged item with the same brand and model that was lost, you should do so. The State reimburses the University for replacement with the same model or nearest equivalent. In some cases it isn't possible to replace the item with the exact model due to discontinuation of some items. In those cases, you would need to find the nearest equivalent to the lost or damaged item(s). If you do this you must provide the specifications for the original item and the specifications for the replacement of the like item. If you do choose to upgrade the item, instead of purchasing the same item or nearest equivalent, the Division of Risk Management will reimburse ODU for the cost of the item minus any cost for upgrading the item.

What do I do if I discover potential damage or loss to University owned or leased property?

Report the incident to University Police (757-683-4000) and the Office of Risk Management (757-683-4009).

What is the insurance coverage for missing, stolen, or damaged property owned or leased by the University?

The University insures all the property it owns, on and off campus. Under certain circumstances it also insures property departments rent, lease, or borrow. Property coverage is worldwide and is based on the actual replacement or repair cost. Further, there is a $1,000 deductible per claim, paid by the department(s) that suffered the loss.

What do I do if I become aware of a potential injury to someone?

If there is imminent danger call 911, otherwise notify the department responsible and the Office of Risk Management (757-683-4009).

If you know someone who may be going through a difficult time or has raised safety concerns with their speech, behavior, or gestures, you may also report your concerns to the University's Threat Education Assessment Team (TEAM) by completing a Concern Referral Form.

What do I do if I become injured on University property?

First seek medical attention. If the injury is serious contact University Police (757-683-4000) and the Office of Risk Management (757-683-4009). If you are an employee, contact Human Resources regarding Workers' Compensation and file a Workers' Compensation Accident Report.

If visitors are using our facilities are they covered by the University’s insurance?

No, all vendors, contractors, and other groups using ODU property must show proof of their own insurance.

What if I want to hold a campus function at an off-campus facility?

It is strongly recommended that a written contract or memorandum of understanding be prepared that states the responsibilities of both parties. In general, the landlord should be responsible for the safe condition of the facility. ODU should be responsible for only the event and the negligent acts or omissions of its employees and agents. Items like security, parking, and maintenance should be addressed in the contract. If the landlord insists that ODU indemnify, hold harmless, or make the property owner an additional insured, the matter must be referred to the Office of Risk Management (ORM) and/or University Counsel. In addition, if requested, ORM will send the other party a Certificate of Insurance that will demonstrate ODU's insurance coverage.

A company/institution is requesting a Certificate of Insurance of Coverage from our department. Where would I get this?

The Office of Risk Management (ORM) provides proof of insurance coverage. Complete the Request for Certificate of Insurance and forward the completed form to ORM at 757-683-6025 or oducerts@odu.edu.

Once we have the request and any contracts or agreement associated with the request, ORM will be able to draw up the certificate; it will be signed and forwarded as specified on the request form.

What if my department needs to insure watercraft?

Contact the Office of Risk Management prior to putting the watercraft in service. Be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Appraisal, with value, of watercraft
  • Hull make, size and identification number

What should I know about insurance before signing a contract with an outside entity?

  • Only certain campus officials are authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the University. Before anything else, consult University Counsel and/or Department of Procurement.
  • For purchase orders and procurement contracts, boilerplate language specifies the kind of insurance the vendor is to supply, so queries should be directed to the Department of Procurement.
  • For leases or other contracts involving the use of outside property, consult University Counsel and/or Department of Procurement.
  • These offices coordinate their insurance strategies with the Office of Risk Management, so there's no need to call us directly.

Are students considered volunteers?

No. Students performing internships/externships per externship/internship/affiliate agreements are not volunteers.

Site Navigation

Presidential Inauguration

ODU commemorated the inauguration of President Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D., during Homecoming Weekend 2022. Relive the historic weekend.

Fall Open House

It's time to fall in love with ODU! Join us for our last Open House event of the semester on Saturday, November 19.

Commencement 2022

Visit the Commencement Office for information on event times, caps & gowns, tickets and more!