Peer Support Groups
We are excited to announce the recent launch of student Peer Support Groups through a collaboration between the Recreation & Wellness Health Promotion unit and Counseling Services. Peer Support Groups allow students to experience the benefits of connecting with fellow Monarchs who can relate to what they're going through.
There are several groups available, with each one centered around a different topic or identity. Registration is done through ODU Monarch Groups. Below are the current group names & descriptions:
- Let's Talk About It - General support group focusing on topics that impact student mental health and wellbeing
- Let's Paint About It - General support group focusing on general mental health and wellbeing, but with a creative twist. Participants can expect to paint or create a craft each session
- Zoomin' In - General support group focusing on topics that impact student mental health and wellbeing, but virtually. Distance learners are highly encouraged to attend these sessions, but any student that prefers to connect virtually is welcome.
- Healthy Relationships - Support group that encourages students to practice and engage in healthy relationships. Students that are managing familial, platonic, romantic, roommate and professional relationships are encouraged to attend.
- You Belong - Support group for students that have not been able to make meaningful connections on campus or managing homesickness. This group will not only allow you to explore your feelings but help anchor you into your community.
- The Vault - This group is a safe space for students that identify as black men. The group will allow a space to express and explore feelings about sensitive topics regarding societal challenges and expectations.
- Navigating Through Anxiety - This group is a safe space for students managing anxiety including but not limited to, academic anxiety, general anxiety, and social anxiety.
If you have specific questions or suggestions, please contact Chantal Matthews, Assistant Director for Health Promotion with Recreation & Wellness.