About the School of Nursing
Over 56 Years of Nursing Excellence!
Old Dominion University, founded in 1930 as the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary, is located in Norfolk, Virginia, in the center of Hampton Roads, the hub of the world's largest natural harbor. Old Dominion College was granted independence from William and Mary in 1962 and became Old Dominion University in 1969. The University's main campus occupies 200 acres situated between the Elizabeth and Lafayette Rivers. The campus has gardens, tree-lined walkways, a reflecting pool and more than 30 academic buildings.
The School of Nursing is housed at the Virginia Beach Higher Education Center located at 1881 University Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23453. New state of the art equipment, educational models, Fundamentals and Health Assessment Laboratories and mediated classrooms enhance the learning experiences of nursing majors. Clinical practice sites throughout the Hampton Roads area augment the practice component of undergraduate nursing education and include general, specialty, public, private, military and community health care facilities. The graduate program has clinical practice sites throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Nation.
Click on the video to view 50 years of nursing at ODU!
Chair's Welcome Our Vision & Philosophy
The development of the School of Nursing began in 1962 when the Board of Visitors of Old Dominion College approved the establishment of a program of Nursing. Follow our growth through these milestones:
- In 1963, a department of nursing was established within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- In 1967, the first two nursing students graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- In 1968, the program was granted accreditation approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing. By this time, the School of Arts and Sciences had separated into two schools: The Department of Nursing remained within the newly designated School of Sciences and Health Professions.
- In 1970, Old Dominion College was renamed Old Dominion University, reflecting the expansion of available academic programs and degrees.
- In 1975, the Department of Nursing sought and was granted accreditation for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program by the National League for Nursing (NLN).
- In 1982, accreditation was expanded to cover the new Master of Science with a concentration in nursing program as well as the baccalaureate program.
- In 1986, the School of Sciences and Health Professions separated into two different colleges; the Department of Nursing became the School of Nursing within the College of Health Sciences.
- In 1999, the School of Nursing was again awarded full accreditation by the NLN, as well as ten-year accreditation by the Commission for Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Since 1999, the school has remained fully accredited by CCNE.
- In 2010, approval to offer the Doctor of Nursing Practice degree was awarded.
- In 2023, the School of Nursing, which has historically operated under the umbrella of the College of Health Sciences, became an independent school at the university. An interim dean was named to lead the school.