ODU Alert: Preparing for Hurricane Dorian
September 05, 2019
Old Dominion University Prepares for Hurricane Dorian
Old Dominion University's Emergency Management Team is working closely with Virginia's Department of Emergency Management, the National Weather Service and government officials to monitor the track and forecast for Hurricane Dorian to ensure the safety and well-being of all students, faculty and staff.
Based on National Weather Service forecasts indicating Hurricane Dorian will affect the Hampton Roads region later this week, the University will be closed Friday, Sept. 6. During this time, all classes, events and activities are canceled at all ODU locations, including ODUOnline. Essential personnel should report for duty as normal, unless advised otherwise by their supervisor. Other personnel may need to report for duty as requested by their supervisor.
Please use caution and avoid driving through or walking in flooded areas. Water may be deeper than it appears and presents a serious safety hazard to yourself and your vehicle. Remember, "turn around, don't drown."
For students staying on campus this weekend, residence halls will remain open and staffed. Dining hours and locations, along with limited activities for those staying on campus, are available on the University website.
The University will reopen on Saturday, Sept. 7.
Changes to Hours of Operation:
- Webb University Center will remain open for normal operating hours. All other programming and events are cancelled until the University reopens.
- For a schedule of all Dining Services,visit: http://olddominion.campusdish.com
- The Libraries andLearning Commons at Perry Librarywill close at midnight Thursday, will be closed Friday and will resume normal operating hours Saturday.
- The bookstorewill be closed Friday and resume normal operations when the University reopens. During this time, students may place their orders online and pick-up their purchases on Saturday and/or Sunday.
- Due to potential flooding, portions of parking lots 1, 11 and 16 will close Thursday evening and will remain closed throughout the weekend. University parking garages will be open to all university faculty, staff and student parking beginning Thursday morning. At 5 p.m. on Thursday, all University parking garages will open to Norfolk residents.Please do not move or cross barricades. The parking garages will close to Norfolk residents at 8 a.m. on Monday. At that time parking permit and meter payment requirements in campus parking facilities will resume as normal.
- Monarch Transit,the campus shuttle, will operate regular hours (until 8 p.m.) on Thursday and is expected to resume normal operations when the University reopens Saturday. SafeRide will operate from 7 p.m. Thursday to 2 a.m. Friday and is expected to resume operations at 7 p.m. Friday. Check the ODU mobile app (transit) or http://odu.edu/monarchtransit for the most up-to-date operational status based on road conditions.
- The Student Recreation Center will close at midnight Thursday, will be closed Friday and will resume normal operating hours Saturday. All formal programs, events and activities, including the swimming pool, climbing wall and University Fitness Center are canceled until the University reopens.
- For up-to-date game times and cancelations for all athletics events, please visit odusports.com.
University officials are preparing campus for the hurricane and will continue monitoring the storm in close collaboration with the National Weather Service and state and local agencies. They will share updates as they develop via the ODU Alerts System, the University's website (www.odu.edu) and social media pages, and local news outlets.
Any campus emergencies should be reported to University Police by calling 757-683-4000. To sign-up for ODU Alerts, visit www.odu.edu/alerts.
For hurricane preparedness tips, evacuation zones, and other helpful information visit www.odu.edu/emergency.
Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.