Lisa Koperna, Director of Monarch Physical Therapy, Receives Honor for Intrapreneurial Endeavors
May 23, 2018
Lisa Koperna, lecturer with the School of Physical Therapy & Athletic Training and director of ODU Monarch Physical Therapy clinic, recently received an Entrepreneurial Excellence award for her work as an intrapreneur.
Koperna was recognized at an awards ceremony on June 11, at The Founders Inn in Virginia Beach. The event was presented by Regent University and sponsored by Inside Business.
Since the clinic opened in spring of 2014, it has continued to grow, providing rehabilitation to all ages. Koperna, a doctor of physical therapy, has been the director of the clinic since it opened. She credits the efforts of many to the success the clinic has enjoyed.
"An amazing team of faculty and administrators launched the clinic, and the wonderful team of therapists and support staff contribute to the success of this clinic every day," she said. "They should receive this award, so I will be happy to accept this award on behalf of everyone at ODU who contributed to the success of this intrapreneurial venture."
Koperna is part of the 2014 class of Entsminger Fellows, a group of distinguished faculty across the University with the mission of fostering an entrepreneurial ecosystem into every academic college.
The Hampton Roads Entrepreneurial Excellence Awards honor individuals who exemplify the spirit of entrepreneurship by creating new businesses and services that are successful, sustainable and growing. The awards recognize local entrepreneurs for their ingenuity, perseverance and positive impact on the community.
The nominee must be an owner or an individual who is primarily responsible for the recent performance of the company and an active member of top management. The nominee's company must be at least two years old and based in Hampton Roads. Nominees are judged on the following criteria:
- Entrepreneurial spirit: Demonstrates vision and perseverance, a willingness to take calculated risks, the capacity to learn from mistakes, an ability to overcome obstacles and a resolve to succeed that requires both independence and a reliance on trusted advisers.
- Strategic thinking: Identifies and evaluates business opportunities in terms of the required resources. Effectively translates business ideas into meaningful, actionable business plans. Utilizes strategic partnerships, alliances, and internal and external advisers to expand the company's capabilities.
- Emphasis on innovation: Views opportunities and challenges of the business through a lens of innovation and takes actions that advance the methods, products or services in that field.
- Business performance: Leads a growth-oriented business as measured by revenues, profitability, number of employees and other characteristics indicating progress toward long-term sustainability. Company success is also reflective of the entrepreneur's ability to align all of the company's resources (human resources finance, etc.) for maximum efficiency.
- Community impact: Represents a positive impact on the local community as demonstrated by the company's relationships with its employees, vendors and other business associates. Nominee is also involved in philanthropic or charitable activities.
- Personal integrity/influence: Models one's personal values in such a way as to earn the genuine respect of employees, competitors and others in the community. Has also achieved a measure of influence and is recognized for his or her professional expertise as well as leadership contributions outside the company.