[ skip to content ]

More Information about this image

You Visit Tour. Webb Lion Fountain. June 1 2017. Photo David B. Hollingsworth

Sport Management Class Hosts Basketball Tournament Fundraiser

An Old Dominion University sport management class has teamed up with the local Susan G. Komen breast cancer foundation to host a three-on-three basketball tournament on Saturday, June 11.

The all-day tournament at Old Dominion's Student Recreation Center is being organized by the Event Management and Sport Sponsorship class taught by Andi Lyons, lecturer of sport management. Proceeds will go to Susan G. Komen Tidewater.

"The students get hands-on experience from planning and hosting an event, and it raises money for breast cancer research. And as an added bonus, it's a lot of fun," Lyons said. In previous years, the class has hosted evnts such as a charity cornhole tournament at the Student Recreation Center.

Registration for the three-on-three basketball tournament will begin at 10 a.m. and games will start at 11. To register or for more information, contact Lyons at 757-683-3354 or alyons@odu.edu.

The event will feature raffle prizes as well as prizes for the winning team. There will also be food and drinks.

The Susan G. Komen Tidewater foundation provides funding for breast health services, breast cancer education and outreach in the region.

Through events like the Komen Tidewater Race for the Cure and fund-raisers organized by local groups, Komen Tidewater donates 75 percent of net funds raised to local breast health services and dedicates the remaining 25 percent to national research to help find cures.

Since 2000, Komen Tidewater has raised more than $4 million for local programs and $1.3 million for national research grants.

Site Navigation

Presidential Inauguration

ODU commemorated the inauguration of President Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D., during Homecoming Weekend 2022. Relive the historic weekend.

Fall Open House

It's time to fall in love with ODU! Join us for our last Open House event of the semester on Saturday, November 19.

Commencement 2022

Visit the Commencement Office for information on event times, caps & gowns, tickets and more!