Webb Center Director Named Gazelle Award Winner
June 23, 2016
Susan "Sue" Mitchell, the retiring director of Webb Center and Auxiliary Services, was presented with Old Dominion University's Gazelle Award at Tuesday's area-wide meeting led by Chief Operating Officer David Harnage.
The award recognizes an employee, nominated by their peers, who exhibits consistent excellence in their job performance. The University has surprised an employee with the Gazelle Award every year since its inception in 1996.
As the winner, Mitchell receives $1,000 and a framed certificate.
"Sue is clearly an outstanding professional, mentor, teacher and colleague, but I believe she should be viewed first as a leader who maintains a high level of integrity and will do the right thing in all situations," wrote Shannon Sauerwald, general administration manager in Webb Center Operations, in nominating Mitchell for the Gazelle Award. "She serves the people she leads - including employees, students, customers and community - as priority number one. She is the first to volunteer to help, never too proud to do the work, even the difficult or unpopular jobs, in order for our team to succeed."
While she has served various roles at the University over the past 25 years, Mitchell has spent the majority of her career at Webb Center. In 2012, she was one of seven university officials nationwide who collaborated on a book about the student union idea, tracing its history from the prototype concept at the University of Wisconsin.
Mitchell's last day at Old Dominion is June 30.
Mitchell was among 12 Gazelle Award nominees that also included:
- Jack Byrum, facilities management;
- Mike Craig, facilities management;
- Brian Dunn, human resources;
- Nadine Faulcon-Johnson, human resources;
- Jared Hoering, emergency services;
- Donald Jones, facilities management;
- Shelley Jules-Plag, design and construction;
- Matthew McCluney, transportation and parking services;
- Brendan O'Hallarn, strategic communications and marketing;
- Harry Smithson, procurement services; and
- Amanda Thomas, Webb University Center.
For more information about employee recognition opportunities at Old Dominion University, visit the Awards & Recognition website.