Remember These Safety Tips During the Upcoming Holiday Season
November 25, 2014
With the holiday season and end of the fall semester rapidly approaching, Student Engagement and Enrollment Services offers some tips to help the campus community stay safe and protect personal belongings during the upcoming breaks.
In preparing to hit the road, remember these safety precautions:
- While packing your car, be sure to lock it each time you leave it. Even if you are only running back into your apartment to grab another bag, lock your car. It only takes a moment for someone to take belongings out of an unlocked car.
- Put valuables in a safe place and out of sight in your apartment. Do not leave electronics or other valuables near windows or in plain view.
- Confirm all windows and doors are locked before heading out for the break. Also, close curtains and blinds, especially if you are in a first-floor unit.
- Ask a friend or neighbor who will be staying in the area to check on your apartment over break.
- Be sure to leave a phone number where you can be reached in an emergency.If you are staying in the area and would like the ODU Police to provide extra patrols of your off-campus residence, contact the community policing unit at the main desk (757-683-4000).
There are also a few things to remember for your personal safety during the holiday season:
- As you are shopping or out in crowded places, be aware of your surroundings.
- Walk with a sense of purpose; avoid talking on cell phones, texting or using headphones or ear buds.
- Park in well-lit places and have keys ready when approaching your car.
- Inform friends or family if you are going out, where you will be and when you anticipate returning.
- If you are of age, drink responsibly and designate a driver or use a cab when going to holiday parties. Be sure to look out for friends, too.
For more information on contributing to a safe and secure campus community, visit ODU's Living Safely website where the LiveSafe app can be downloaded and arrangements can be made to receive window/door locks and alarms for off-campus residences - all free from the University.