Use the following Music Education Student Resources!
ODU Office of Clinical Experiences
- ODU Office of Clinical Experiences
- Professional Education Handbook
- Teacher Education Admission/Application Procedures
- Professional Dispositions Survey
Background Check Application
Teacher Candidate Internship (Student Teaching) Documents
- ODU Field Experience Background Check/Clearance Application
- Teacher Candidate Internship Application
- Teacher Candidate Internship Handbook
- Required Dyslexia Awareness Training
- Required First Aid, CPR and Defibrillator Training
Students are highly encouraged to contact Dr. Owens or Dr. Raschdorf before registering for any exams, as exemptions may apply.
Praxis Core Math Test Information--only needed if the SAT or ACT Math assessment was not taken previously:
- Praxis Core Math (test 5732) Study Guide
- Praxis Core test registration
- Praxis Fee Waiver Information
- Praxis Accommodations for Test Takers
VCLA Test Information (Tests VC091 AND VC092 are required)
- VCLA Test Overview
- VCLA Study Guides, Practice Tests and Tutorials
- VCLA Testing Centers and Dates--click to plan your test date.
- VCLA Test Registration
Praxis Music Content Knowledge Test Information (test #5113, passing score is 160 or above)
- Praxis Music Content Knowledge (5113) Test Dates
- Praxis Music Content Knowledge Test Guide and Sample Questions
- Praxis Music Content Knowledge Interactive Practice Test
- Praxis Music Content Knowledge test registration
Music Education Career
- National Coalition for Core Arts Standards
- Core Music Standards
- Comparision chart, 1994 standards vs. 2014 standards
- National Standards for Music Education (1994)
- Virginia Standards of Learning
- National Association for Music Education (NAfME)
- Virginia NAfME Collegiate
- Virginia Music Educators Association (VMEA)
- Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association (VBODA)
- Virginia Choral Direcotrs Association (VCDA)
- Virginia Elementary Music Educators Association (VEMEA)
- Virginia String Teachers Association (VASTA)
- Application for the Virginia Teaching License
- NAfME Career Center Resources--Great Information!
- A Career Guide for Music Education, 2nd ed.
- Music Educator Jobs List--NAfME
- VBODA Virginia Band and Orchestra Educator Job List
- SchoolSpring education job listings
- Southern Teachers Agency free job search
- Musika Music Lessons independent contract jobs for music teachers
Composition and Technology in Music Education
Apply for Admission to ODU Teacher Education
Have you passed MUSC 300, Foundations of Music Education? Have you passed the VCLA? Do you have 50 credits or more? If so, apply for admission to ODU Teacher Education today! If you need to take MUSC 402, MUSC 404, or MUSC 408 in an upcoming semester and have NOT completed the Teacher Education application/admission process, apply for admission to ODU Teacher Education. Questions? Contact Dr. Owens or Dr. Raschdorf for additional information.
All students in Music Education must read the Undergraduate Music Student Handbook and the ODU Teacher Education Handbook. The handbooks contain all pertinent information regarding the ODU Music and Teacher Education programs. You MUST READ both handbooks for your success in Music Education while at ODU. Read both handbooks today!
Required Background Checks
Music Education students registering for MUSC 300, MUSC 402, MUSC 404 or MUSC 408 must obtain a background check/clearance prior to starting the field experience. This process may take up to eight weeks, so plan ahead. This is a one-time procedure once it is successfully completed. Follow the instructions for completing this process at ODU Clearance Background Check Procedures.
Do you plan to student teach in the fall semester of 2023? The application deadline for the completed Teacher Candidate Internship (student teaching) application is February 1, 2023. Additional late appplication deadlines are 3/1/23 and 4/1/23.
The application process is completely online. The application will be submitted directly to the Office of Clinical Experiences. There is no need to meet with Dr. Owens or Dr. Raschdorf. However, it is a good idea to have either of us review your DegreeWorks in advance to make sure all information is up to date.
The online application and complete details are available at the Office of Clinical Experiences Teacher Candidate Internship information page. DO NOT MISS THIS DEADLINE, as doing so may add an additional semester to your time at ODU.
Required First Aid, CPR and Defibrillator training
All applicants for the Teacher Candidate Internship shall provide evidence of completion of certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscutation and the use of automated external defibrillators. See Required First Aid, CPR, and Defibrillator Training for details on the training process.
ODU Collegiate NAfME
Join the ODU Chapter of Collegiate NAfME today! The National Association for Music Education is the professional association and resource for your career as a music educator. ODU Collegiate NAfME Chapter 372 will provide experiences and assist you to make the important professional connections for your future.
The 2021-22 ODU Collegiate NAfME Leadership Team members are Karen Laws, Delaney Conter, Hailey Hargis, and Asia Daniels.