Discover Our Focus
The Cellular Mechanobiology Lab (CML) focuses on the role played by mechanical forces and physical constraints in cell function. Main areas of interest include cell-cell and cell-extra-cellular matrix (cell-ECM) adhesion, cell-generated forces and cell responses to external forces. Our research informs diverse areas from tissue engineering to pathophysiology.
Our research interests are:
- Cell-cell adhesion
- Cadherin mechanobiology
- Traction force microscopy
- Cell-ECM adhesion
- Actin-adhesion interplay
- Multi-scale mechanobiology
Explore Our Research
- Our paper on endogenous tension measurement in epithelial sheets is published in the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering.
- Our collaboration with Dr. Laroussi's lab (ECE) is highlighted in the December 2017 issue of the Illuminator: "Cold plasma technology meets mechanobiology. Working across departments to find medical breakthroughs."
- Dumbali, S. P., Mei, L., Qian S. and Maruthamuthu, V. (2017) Endogenous Sheet-averaged Tension within a Large Epithelial Cell Colony. J. Biomech. Eng. 139: 101008-1-5.
- Maruthamuthu, V. and Gardel, M. L. (2014) Protrusive Activity Modulates Changes in Cell- Cell Tension During Epithelial Cell Scattering. Biophys J. 107: 555-563.
- Maruthamuthu, V., Sabass, B., Schwarz, U.S. and Gardel, M.L. (2011). Cell-ECM Traction Force Modulates Endogenous Tension at Cell-Cell Contacts. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 108: 4708-4713.
- Borghi, N., Lowndes, M., Maruthamuthu, V., Gardel, M.L., and Nelson, W.J. (2010). Regulation of Cell Motile Behavior by Crosstalk between Cadherin- and Integrin-mediated Adhesions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 107: 13324-13329.
- Maruthamuthu, V., Schulten, K., and Leckband, D.E. (2009) Elasticity and Rupture of a Multi-domain Cell Adhesion Complex. Biophys J. 96: 3005-3014.
- Prakasam, A.K., Maruthamuthu, V., and Leckband, D.E. (2006) Similarities between Heterophilic and Homophilic Cadherin Adhesion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 103: 15434-15439.
Motorized inverted fluorescence microscope, Biosafety cabinet, Cell culture incubator, Liquid nitrogen cryopreservation system, UVO cleaner.