Google Accounts for Alumni
ODU alumni have previously enjoyed continued access to Google services like their student email address and Google Drive. However, due to Google's new storage restrictions, we are no longer able to offer these services to alumni. Google accounts will expire one year after graduation, along with other university technology accounts.
Google's updated storage policy affects data storage limits for the entire university (and all institutions that use Google Workspace for Education). By limiting alumni accounts, which are not widely used, we can minimize the cost of providing adequate storage in support of research and student success, continuing the University's mission to serve students through rigorous academic programs, strategic partnerships and active civic engagement.
What should I do?
Download or copy all of your important files from Google Drive or email.
Check your Google storage - Verify the amount of data you have stored in your Alumni Google account. It is recommended that you clean up any files that are not needed before migrating or archiving your data.
Migrate your Alumni email and Drive data - Google allows you to migrate your email and Drive data from your ODU Alumni account to another personal Gmail account. (This option does not work with other email services.) Be mindful of the storage space in your Alumni account before migrating, as most personal Google accounts only include 15 GB of total storage space. If you need more storage, please refer to Upgrading Google Storage. Any files that have been shared from your Alumni Drive account will lose their permissions and will need to be re-established once transferred.
Archive/download your Alumni account with Google Takeout - Takeout should be strictly used for archival purposes for long-term retention or to be used with another service. Be mindful of your storage requirements when exporting/archiving your data for long-term retention.
Is your student email address associated with other accounts?
- If you used your student email address to open an account -- Facebook, LinkedIn, shopping sites, etc. -- change your communication preferences or open a new account with a personal email address.
Has your MIDAS password expired?
- Since your MIDAS ID and password are used to log in to student email and Google apps, you may need to update your password. Find more information here.
Stay connected with ODU.
- Update your contact information and communication preferences with the ODU Alumni Association.
Where can I get more info?
You can read more about the Google storage policy changes here:
- Google rebrands G Suite for Education to Google Workspace for Education (The Verge)
- Google Workspace will stop unlimited, free storage starting July 2022 (Amplified IT)
If you are still doing research at ODU and need to keep your student Google account, email the ITS Help Desk and let us know.