The courses you take during your time in GPIS will help you become familiar with important theories, research agendas, policy debates, and historical facts in your chosen area of study. Yet your professional success upon leaving GPIS will also depend critically on skills that your courses do not cover. The GPIS Professional Development Program (PDP) aims to connect GPIS students with resources that will assist in the development of these professional skills. This page compiles a variety of resources related to conferences, internships, methodological training, and job preparation. The PDP also runs a series of workshops led by GPIS faculty and other professionals in academia and the policy world. The schedule for upcoming workshops appears below.
Professional Development Workshop Series (PDWS), 2020-2021
For the 2020-2021 academic year, we will run the Professional Development Workshop Series virtually through Zoom. Links to these workshops can be found in the GPIS bulletin.
Spring 2021 PDWS Schedule
04/02/2021 2:00 PM - 04/02/2021 3:30 PM
Guest panelists Dr. Sabine Hirschauer (New Mexico State University), Dr. Lauren McKee (Berea College), Dr. Dovile Budryte (Georgia... (More)
Fall 2020 PDWS Schedule
- Graduate Research Conference
- American Political Science Association (APSA) conferences
- International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Conferences (national and international)
- International Studies Association - South & Annual Conferences (regional)
- Virginia Social Science Association Annual Conference
- World Affairs Council of Greater Hampton Roads