Hampton Roads SLR/Flooding Adaptation Forum
- 11/16/2012 8:30 AM EST - 4:00 PM EST
- Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center (VMASC)
Best Practices for Adapting to Sea Level Rise and Flooding
November 16, 2012 Forum Meeting
A collaboration among Virginia Sea Grant, the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission, Old Dominion University's Climate Change and Sea Level Rise Initiative and the American Beach and Shore Preservation Association, this Forum is the second in a series of four to be held in 2012-2014. The overarching goals of the Forums are to:
- Promote open discussion and in-depth exploration surrounding the adaptation to SLR-exacerbated flooding in our communities;
- Facilitate information sharing about best practices for adapting to sea level rise and flooding among Hampton Roads officials and decision-makers;
- Capture the expertise, knowledge, best practices and concerns in our communities and nurture our local professional network through communication and information management.
Hampton Roads has a unique opportunity to collectively share and prioritize its needs, best practices, potential adaptation strategies, and impediments to implementation. The Forum will enhance and improve on existing committee processes within the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission: transportation, environmental planning and emergency management. A key objective of the Forum is to forge collaborations and networks with state and federal entities.
The goals of the first Forum are to:
- Gain an understanding of the state of the science;
- Network across localities/or across sectors within localities;
- Develop a consensus as to where we should go as a region with local governments and also with state partners.
Presentations from this 1st meeting of the SLR/Flooding Adaptation Forum are here:
Sea Level Rise Acceleration in Hampton Roads: A Scientific Perpective, Tal Ezer, Professor, Old Dominion University Center for Coastal Physical Oceanography
Climate Change SLR and Severe Storms: A Federal Perspective, Russell DeYoung, Senior Research Scientist and Climate Adaptation Science Investigator, NASA Langley Research Center
Adaptation Practices and Lessons Learned: A State Perspective, Molly Mitchell, Center for Coastal Resources Management, VIMS
Sea Level Rise and Flooding in Hampton Roads: A Local Perspective, Ben McFarlane, Hampton Roads Planning District Commission
Focus Groups by Sector (depending on attendance) Each group will have a facilitator and a scribe. Notes follow:
Land Use/Environmental PlanningNext meeting of the Hampton Roads SLR/Flooding Adaptation Forum - March 13, 2013 Back to Forum Home