COVID-19 Work Hazard Assessment Update
March 2021 Update
On January 27, 2021, the Final Permanent Standard for Infectious Disease Prevention: SARS-CoV-2 Virus That Causes COVID-19, 16 VAC25-220 went into effect. This new permanent standard continues many of the protections and requirements that were found in the emergency temporary standard, enacted by Governor Northam in July 2020. This state-wide workplace safety standard provides best practices and guidelines for managing and controlling the potential risks of exposure in the workplace. Under the Final Permanent Standard, employers continue to be obligated to control, prevent, and mitigate the potential exposure for employees, temporary workers, customers, and vendors.
To ensure our continued compliance, supervisors are reminded to complete the COVID-19 Work Hazard Assessment if they have not already. If supervisors have completed the Work Hazard Assessment, then they do not need to re-submit an assessment for the same position unless there has been a change in the duties that present a new exposure risk. Or if they have employees returning to physical campus sites that were not previously assessed. In this assessment, supervisors should document how they plan to implement the necessary controls and prevention strategies to mitigate exposure.
Important Tips for Supervisors:
- You should complete the COVID-19 Work Hazard Assessment for hourly, classified, administrative faculty, professional faculty, adjunct faculty, non-instructional part-time faculty, teaching faculty, and research faculty that have a physical presence on the University's main campus, regional higher education centers, or distance learning sites.
- You may complete one assessment for multiple positions that share the same classification and responsibilities.
- You do not have to complete an assessment for employees who are 100% teleworkers, however, you will be required to complete an assessment for these employees before their return to campus.
- If you have already completed the WHA form, there is no need to re-submit.
Return to Campus Guidance
- Virginia Emergency Permanent Standard
- Virginia Department of Labor and Industry
- Virginia Department of Human Resource Management
- ODU Blueprint
- Office of Environmental Health and Safety
- Office of Risk Management
- Office of Emergency Management
- Telework in Your Dominion