General Accounting ensures the accuracy of the University's financial statements, maintains accurate accounting records and is responsible for the following:
- Reconciling all University bank accounts
- Ensuring that information contained in the University's Banner system matches information communicated to the Commonwealth's accounting system
- Reconciling all General Ledger accounts and University investments
- Grant Accounting
- Cost and Fixed Asset accounting
- Preparation of financial reports
- Daily cash management
- Month-end and year-end closing
General Accounting is tasked with the mission of ensuring the fiscal integrity of the University's assets by identifying and keeping accurate records of its property and capital equipment.
Generally, the Office of Research accepts grants and contract awards on behalf of the University. The office of General Accounting primarily deals with monitoring, reviewing, accounting, reporting and compliance of post-award activity.
Banner is the official record for all University expenditures and provides budget activity detail and summary data on-line.
The Year-End Closing Calendar contains complete information concerning financial deadlines for the fiscal year.
Safeguarding credit card information is vital to ensure compliance with Payment Card Industry Security Standards (PCI DSS). All departments that collect credit card payments must ensure all staff members adhere to these standards.