[ skip to content ]

Out of Country Travel

Out of Country Travel

If a traveler is required to leave the country on University business, approval from the provost or designee must be obtained prior to the beginning of the trip. When requesting approval for out-of-country travel, you must attach complete trip information.

Advance approval is required.
To obtain prior approval for international travel, a Pre-Approval Request must be completed in Chrome River, submitted by the traveler, and routed for approval by the traveler's supervisor, the authorizing Budget Unit Director (BUD), and the provost or designee. You must attach complete trip information when submitting a Pre-Approval Request to travel out of the country.

It is recommended that this approval be obtained at least 30 days in advance of travel.


In addition to all other policies set forth in published travel policy, the following additional policies must be adhered to when traveling internationally. The guidelines for air travel also apply to international travel.

  1. Specifically, airline travel cannot exceed the rates charged for tourist/coach class fare except as follows. With careful consideration of the reasonableness limitations specified in these regulations, the approving authority may grant permission for business class travel under the following circumstances:

    • When it does not cost more than the lowest available tourist/coach fare (comparison must be attached to Expense Report)
    • For travel to Western Europe if the business meeting is conducted within three hours of landing
    • For transoceanic, intercontinental trips of more than eight hours
    • If the traveler pays the difference

    NOTE: Reimbursement for first-class air or rail travel is prohibited. Premium coach seating is not reimbursable.

  2. Boarding passes are required for all air and rail reimbursements.

  3. Each receipt must be translated into English. Chrome River automatically converts amounts to U.S. dollars when the amount and foreign currency are entered.

  4. Upon completion of the out-of-country travel, an Expense Report must be submitted in Chrome River. The (approved) Pre-Approval Request must be attached to the Expense Report along with all other required receipts. Original receipts must be centrally maintained in a department file.

  5. If a travel advance is requested, an approved Pre-Approval Request must be attached to the advance request before the advance can be submitted in Chrome River.

 Three or More Traveling to a Single International Destination

To ensure all travel meets the test of necessity, travel involving more than three employees from a single agency to a single international travel destination must be approved in advance by the Agency Head or designee.

 Reimbursement Rates

Personal mileage reimbursement for out-of-country travel will be at the rate established in the current Appropriations Act. However, if a higher personal mileage rate is requested, a request for approval must be sent to the Accounts Payable Manager so that approval from Richmond can be obtained.

Foreign travel destinations may justify higher reimbursement amounts. The Commonwealth of Virginia uses the lodging and M&IE per diem rates for foreign travel as defined by the Federal Government.

Site Navigation

Experience Guaranteed

Enhance your college career by gaining relevant experience with the skills and knowledge needed for your future career. Discover our experiential learning opportunities.

Academic Days

Picture yourself in the classroom, speak with professors in your major, and meet current students.

Upcoming Events

From sports games to concerts and lectures, join the ODU community at a variety of campus events.