Departmental Budget Activity
Banner is the official record for all University expenditures and provides budget activity detail and summary data on-line. Users who have the proper access can monitor and reconcile their budget using the following Banner forms:
- Budget Availability Status Form (FGIBAVL) - displays current operating expense budget for the specific personal service categories (administrative, classified, wages, etc.) and pool accounts for benefits, non-personal services, travel, and equipment expenditures.
- Organization Budget Status Form (FGIBDST) - displays total budget, year-to-date activity, and commitments (encumbrances) by sub-account, with links to summary, detail, and encumbrance information.
- Detail Transaction Activity Form (FGITRND) - shows transaction detail for a specific sub-account.
For information on how to use Banner to monitor and reconcile your departmental budget, please refer to Banner Finance and Budget training materials. You may also register for Banner Finance and Budget training.
Banner Finance Training
During this video training session, participants will learn how to access and interpret budget information in Banner; learn the forms that allow departments to do internal financial reporting; check available balances (and understand why discrepancies can occur); identify Banner transaction codes; research invoices; determine if a vendor is in ODU's vendor table; check base budget information; and learn about tools associated with monitoring your budgets.
Audience: Individuals responsible for monitoring departmental budgets.
Prerequisite: Banner Basics handout review
All Banner-related questions should be directed to the Banner Hotline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monthly Financial & Banner Reports
The Office of Finance does not provide hard copy monthly budget reports. Banner ePrint allows users to print monthly financial reports as soon as they are available - usually the first business day of the month. Please ensure that you see the message indicating that financial reports have been validated before using any reports via ePrint. For more information about the Banner ePrint Software, visit our ePrint Training Page.
Employees who monitor and report on both budget and payroll activity** can view these reports in ePrint.
In ePrint the following reports are available to those who monitor budgets:
- FGRBDSC - YTD Activity - similar to the Organization Budget Status Form (FGIBDST)
This report shows the summary information for a budget by sub-account.
- FGRODTA - Detail Activity - similar to the Detail Transaction Activity Form (FGITRND)
This report shows activity by sub-account.
- NHRSDST Employee Payroll Summary by Org**
This report shows payroll activity for each payee by budget code.
**Access to departmental payroll reports must be requested separately. Please complete the E-Print Payroll Report Request Form
All inquiries about these reports and requesting access can be made to the Data Control staff at 757-683-3257 or to the Finance Systems Manager at 757-683-3279.