Thank you for your interest in applying to the English Language Center Intensive English Program!
Follow these steps to complete the application process.
Step 1 - ELC Application for F-1 Visa Students
- If you are going to study at the English Language Center and will hold an F-1 Student Visa, please complete Steps 1 and 2.
- If you are a transfer student, please also complete Step 3.
- If you have questions, please contact us at ELC@odu.edu.
As part of the application process, we require a 5-7 minute spoken interview which will be conducted via Zoom. We will use the interview to assess your oral communication ability and make sure that our program is right for you, as we require students to have a basic foundation of English proficiency in order to study at the ELC.
All new students will take a placement test on arrival and must place in our Basic level or higher. New F-1 students that place below our Basic level will need to transfer to another program.
All new students will be charged a new student fee of $125 upon arriving at the ELC. Unless otherwise requested, all documents will be mailed by express mail.
Admission to the English Language Center is NOT admission to a degree program at Old Dominion University.
Step 2 - ELC Financial Certificate
- The ELC Financial Certificate with sections 1, 2, and 3 completed
- OR -
- The ELC Financial Certificate with section 1 and 2 completed AND a financial statement from your sponsor's bank.
- OR -
- Government sponsored: If you are sponsored by your country's government, the ELC Financial Certificate with section 1 completed AND a copy of your sponsor letter.
Step 3 - Additional step for Transfer Students
- If you are transferring from another school within the United States, please complete the Transfer-In Form
- Admission to the ELC is open to non-native speakers of English who are 17 years of age or older or who have high school diplomas or the equivalent.
- All new students will take a placement test on arrival and must place in our Basic level or higher. New F-1 students that place below our Basic level will need to transfer to another program.
- Admission to the English Language Center is not admission to a degree program at Old Dominion University.
- If you would like to also apply to a degree program at the University, contact the Office of International Admissions.