[ skip to content ]

More Information about this image

calculator and hand

School of Continuing EducationFinancial Information

The School of Continuing Education can accept payments for courses in several different forms. ODU's helpful staff can assist you in determining if you might qualify for any number of various funding options that could assist you with non-credit continuing educational opportunities to improve your marketability and advance your career.

Generally speaking, if a student is paying directly without alternate funding sources, the payment can be made by credit card or check. There are specific steps for students who utilize employer or sponsor funding.

Listed below are the payment and funding options we provide:

  • Payment by Credit Card or Check
  • Funding through Military Benefits
  • Funding by Employer or Sponsor
  • Funding by the Workforce Development Board
  • Funding through Private Loan Options

Funding Options

Payment by Credit Card or Check

ODU accepts most credit cards (American Express, Visa, MasterCard & Discover). For non-credit offerings, credit cards can only be accepted online through our registration system, MonarchCE. Once payment is successfully completed, you will receive payment verification and a registration confirmation by email.

Checks are accepted when payment is made by mail through the School of Continuing Education.

Military Benefits

The GI Bill may be used for the Career Switcher program, only. ODU systems require that the tuition be paid upfront and reimbursed through the Veterans Administration to the individual. There is also MyCAA. ODU is honored to offer MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts) as one of its many programs. MyCAA is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses over 2 years to pursue an associates degree program, licenses or credentials. Click here to go to MyCAA.

Employer/Other Sponsor Funding

Many employers offer tuition assistance (TA) in their employee benefits package. If you are not familiar with your company's policies regarding TA, you should talk to your Human Resources Department. To use tuition assistance at ODU, your company should submit a memo on company letterhead stating that the company accepts the financial debt of the tuition. Please make sure the memo lists the course name, tuition amount and the student name. Submit this memo to the School of Continuing Education.

Workforce Development Board

The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) is a United States public law intended to bring about increased coordination among federal workforce development and related programs.

You may qualify under Title I—Workforce Development Activities, which authorizes job training and related services to unemployed or underemployed individuals, and establishes the governance and performance accountability system for WIOA

  1. Opportunity Inc: (Hampton Roads) Opportunity Inc, also known as Hampton Roads Workforce Development Board, proudly serves Chesapeake, Franklin, Isle of Wight Norfolk, Portsmouth, Southampton, Suffolk and Virginia Beach.
  2. Virginia Career Works- Greater Peninsula Region: (Hampton Roads) The Greater Peninsula Workforce Development Boards proudly serves the Virginia cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson and Williamsburg, and the counties of Gloucester, James City and York.

Private Loans

If you would like to investigate the private loan option to assist in funding your education, the process is very easy. Please click on the 'OPTIONS' button below to see our list of frequently used private loan lenders. Please review the directions provided below; once you click the 'OPTIONS' button, you will be taken to another website.


*Please Note: Continuing education noncredit classes are not eligible for Federal funding.


  • ENTER 'Old Dominion University' in the "school search" option
  • A dropdown menu will come into view. From this menu, CHOOSE the "continuing education" option (at the bottom) to complete the application.

Refund Policy


To withdraw from a course you must send a request in writing to cepd@odu.edu seven (7) days prior the start date of the course. Failure to attend a course does not constitute withdrawal. Course registration fees, less a $50 processing fee will be refunded via the original form of payment. There are no refunds once the class has begun.

Late withdrawals of six (6) days or less before the class begins, will result in the student being charged the $50 processing fee, as well as charges for books and/or other course material fees.

Please note: this is a general refund policy and certain programs within the School may be different. Please be sure to check with your enrollment advisor about a refund policy that may be specific to your program.

Collections Policy

The School of Continuing Education complies with all policies set forth by the ODU Office of Finance regarding collection of owed tuition/fees. Please click here to visit the Office of Finance for the most up to date University policy.

Site Navigation

Presidential Inauguration

ODU commemorated the inauguration of President Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D., during Homecoming Weekend 2022. Relive the historic weekend.

Fall Open House

It's time to fall in love with ODU! Join us for our last Open House event of the semester on Saturday, November 19.

Commencement 2022

Visit the Commencement Office for information on event times, caps & gowns, tickets and more!