Number of Tickets
At the time of registration, each student will be permitted to request up to a defined maximum number of tickets for their guests. This is only a request for that number of tickets, and not a guarantee. The maximum number of tickets is calculated based on the number of students participating in each ceremony. That number will fluctuate throughout the registration period each semester.
Commencement Central strives to accommodate each request, however reserves the right to reduce the ticket allocation based on the number of commencement candidates. Should the need arise to reduce the maximum number of tickets, students will receive notification via email prior to the prescribed ticket distribution dates for each semester.
Eligible students who register after the registration deadline will be offered fewer tickets.
How to Get Tickets
Tickets are only available to eligible candidates for graduation who have filed the Application for Graduation and indicated on the form that they wish to participate in the ceremony using the Application for Graduation form located on the University Registrar's website.
Tickets are only distributed during set periods of the semester. Registered students will be sent ticket distribution details no later than 30 days prior to the start of their ceremony date.
In order to ensure that every graduate has the opportunity to have his or her family and friends attend the commencement ceremony, the following policies are in place concerning ticketing and distribution.
- Guest tickets are available only for eligible graduation candidates who have completed Application for Graduation form and indicated on the application that they wish to participate in the ceremony.
- Graduation candidates who have completed the above the prescribed deadlines are eligible to request a selected number of guest tickets. This is only a request for that amount of tickets, and not a guarantee for that amount of tickets.
- Participating graduating students do not need a ticket for themselves. Current ODU students who wish to attend the ceremony as a guest must obtain a standard guest ticket from an eligible graduating student.
- All children over the age of 2 requires a ticket.
- A photo ID (student ID, driver's license, military ID or state-issued ID) must be presented in order for tickets to be distributed.
- No extra tickets will be distributed.
- It is a violation of the student code of conduct to sell commencement tickets.
Auxiliary Viewing for Guests Without Tickets
We know that sometimes students won't have enough tickets for all of the supporters who wish to join them. Auxiliary viewing is provided for guests without tickets. Auxiliary viewing is located in the Big Blue Room of the Chartway Arena. Guests will be able to see the processional enter the building and then view the remainder of the ceremony on screen. If seats are available in the arena, your guests will be escorted into the arena to be seated 10-15 minutes before the start of the event.